Class 3 (April 10) : COLLISION
DETECTION AND DISTANCE COMPUTATION
- Role of collision detection and distance computation in motion planning
- Feature-tracking approach
- Hierarchical bounding approach
- Required Reading:
- Feature-tracking approach:
M. Lin and J. Canny. A Fast Algorithm for Incremental Distance Calculation.
Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1008-1014, 1991.
- Hierarchical bounding approach (with spheres):
S. Quinlan. Efficient Distance Computation Between Non-Convex Objects.
Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 1994.
- Other Reading:
- The PQP collision checker (hierarchical
bounding with Oriented Bounding Boxes):
M. Lin, and D. Manocha. OBB-Tree: A Hierarchical Structure for
Rapid Interference Detection. Proc. ACM SIGGRAPH '96,
best research is currently being done at UNC.
See Ming Lin's webpage.
- See also
V-Clip of Brian Mirtich at MERL.
- Powerpoint slides: