Mark A. Ruzon
116 Granada Dr.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Research and Work Experience:
- Computer Science Department, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, Fall 1994
through Spring 2000:
- With Prof. Carlo Tomasi I conduct research in computer vision, specifically
on the use of distributions of pixel colors to model image regions for
performing low-level tasks such as edge and corner detection and boundary
- NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA, Summer 1997 through
- Designed and implemented vision algorithms for detecting layers in rock
formations and segmenting "geologically interesting" regions of texture
for future unmanned missions to Mars.
- IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA, Summer 1995:
- Worked on shape representations for the Query By Image Content
(QBIC) image database project.
- USC Advanced Computer Architecture Lab, Los Angeles, CA, Spring 1992
through Spring 1994:
- Participated in a number of projects, including
automatic detection of runways from satellite photos, functional testing of
microprocessors, and translation of chip specifications from PALASM to VHDL.
- Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, summers of 1990, 1991, 1993, and
- Designed, implemented, and maintained graphics, interface, and
database programs for ENPEP, a macroeconomic forecast package for Third
World countries, administered by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- M.A. Ruzon and C. Tomasi, "Edge, Junction, and Corner Detection
Using Color Distributions," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis
and Machine Intelligence, to appear in November 2001.
- V.C. Gulick, R.L. Morris, M.A. Ruzon, and T.L. Roush, "Autonomous
Image Analyses During the 1999 Marsokhod Rover Field Test,"
J. of Geophysical Research--Planets, volume 106, number E4, pages
7745-7764, 25 April 2001.
- M.A. Ruzon and C. Tomasi, "Alpha Estimation in Natural Images,"
Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern
Recognition, volume 1, pages 24-31, June 2000.
- M.A. Ruzon and C. Tomasi, "Corner Detection in Textured Color Images,"
Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer
Vision, volume 2, pages 1039-1045, September 1999.
- M.A. Ruzon and C. Tomasi, "Color Edge Detection with the Compass
Operator," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and
Pattern Recognition, volume 2, pages 160-166, June 1999.
- V.C. Gulick, R.L. Morris, M.A. Ruzon, and T.L. Roush, "Autonomous Science
Analyses of Digital Images for Mars Sample Return and Beyond," 30th
Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, March 1999.
- USC University Trustees' Award (highest senior male GPA), 1994
- USC School of Engineering Archimedes Circle Award (valedictorian), 1994
- USC Computer Science Department Outstanding Student Award, 1994
- USC School of Engineering Dean's Scholarship, 1990-94
- USC School of Engineering Merit Research Award, 1990-94
- Joliet Catholic High School, Joliet, IL, 1986-90 (valedictorian)
- University of Southern California, 1990-94 (salutatorian)
- B.S. Computer Science; Minor, Mathematics; 3.99 GPA
- Stanford University, 1994-2000
- M.S. Computer Science, 1997
- Ph.D. Computer Science, 2000
- Member of Phi Beta Kappa
- References available upon request